لنتعلم الإنجليزية
Enjoy your visit
لنتعلم الإنجليزية
Enjoy your visit
لنتعلم الإنجليزية
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

لنتعلم الإنجليزية

Let's Learn ENGLISH Together

HomeTHE VERBS  +  GERUND Icon_mini_portal_enGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THE VERBS + GERUND

Go down 

Vote
Bad
THE VERBS  +  GERUND Vote_lcap0%THE VERBS  +  GERUND Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Ok
 0% [ 0 ]
Good
 0% [ 0 ]
Very Good
 0% [ 0 ]
Excellent
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

THE VERBS  +  GERUND Empty
PostSubject: THE VERBS + GERUND   THE VERBS  +  GERUND Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 4:54 pm

THE VERBS  +  GERUND:

The gerund is the base form of the verb + ing. Like: going, eating, reading, swimming, watching…. However, in the sentence the gerund does not really function as a verb because there is the main verb of the sentence. For example , in these sentences the verbs are underlined:

Ø I love swimming.
Ø My hobby is reading.
Ø Playing foot-ball is wonderful.
Ø Go ahead; continue reading.
Ø The thief admitted stealing.

So, you know of course that the main verb in any sentence needs a subject, an object or a complement.

Therefore the verbs “love, is, is” in the examples above need these elements too. So in the first example “swimming” is the object of the verb “love”: I love what? I love “swimming”. In the second example “reading” is the complement of the verb “to be” “is”. And in the last example “playing foot-ball” is the subject of the verb “is”. So, “swimming”, “reading” and “playing” don’t function as verbs. They are therefore “NOUNS”.

As you can notice some verbs in English like “love, admit, continue, like….” Are followed by the gerund in case what comes after them is a “verb”.

Look at this exercise for example:
1* “I can’t help (to open) the window because it’s very hot here.

As you can see, you have two verbs: “can’t help’’ and “to open”. So the second one must be in one of two forms: gerund or infinitive. Therefore, in English “can’t help” when followed by another verb, the second verb must be in the gerund form. In this sentence “opening” is the object of the verb “can’t help”.

SO,
1“ I can’t help opening the window because…” is the correct sentence.

What are the English verbs which must be followed by the gerund?

There are a lot of course. There are no rules as to which verb must be + gerund and which one must be + infinitive. To know which form to use comes from practice: reading, reading and writing. Here are examples of verbs which are followed by the gerund: Admit - can’t help - can’t see - complete - finish - deny - enjoy - keep - mind - anticipate - mention - appreciate - avoid - miss - practice - recall - suggest…….

Examples:
• Ø I can’t bear looking at explosions.
• Ø I have completed/finished answering all the questions.
• Ø The criminal admitted stealing the bank.
• Ø My friend has mentioned going on a picnic.
• Ø Most people appreciate traveling in summer.
• Ø You should practice reading and writing long texts.
• Ø Keep working! You will enjoy your reading a lot.

So one thing you have to remember is that when one verb follows another one in English, the second one must be in the gerund if the first verb is one of those above. Do a web search for more examples. Some other verbs, however, in English must be followed by the infinitive.

The gerund after certain phrases with preposition
Notice that the gerund can also be used after some phrases with prepositions. These include the following:

1- In addition to reading, I can also write a very good English.
2- Most students are interested in knowing more about the topic of “sustainable development’’.
3- I have no objection to helping you to get a good grade in the exam.
4- Do the exercise without making a lot of noise.
5- A lot of my students are good at reading but they have problems in dealing with grammar exercises.
6- I am against saying that terrorism has social causes. I am with believing that terror should be eradicated.
7- Most brain drainers are thinking of coming back…
8- I am tired of repeating this. But, you should do a lot of exercises about this particular lesson.
9- Most students who love grammar will have difficulty in understanding this lesson.
10- Any way I am looking forward to receiving your comments on this lesson. It might be difficult.
11- How about having an excursion next month.
Back to top Go down
http://teacher-of-english.ch.ma

THE VERBS + GERUND
Page 1 of 1