لنتعلم الإنجليزية
Enjoy your visit
لنتعلم الإنجليزية
Enjoy your visit
لنتعلم الإنجليزية
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

لنتعلم الإنجليزية

Let's Learn ENGLISH Together

HomeSome Spelling Rules: Icon_mini_portal_enGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Spelling Rules:

Go down 

Vote
Bad
Some Spelling Rules: Vote_lcap0%Some Spelling Rules: Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Ok
 0% [ 0 ]
Good
 0% [ 0 ]
Very Good
 0% [ 0 ]
Excellent
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Some Spelling Rules: Empty
PostSubject: Some Spelling Rules:   Some Spelling Rules: Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2014 4:17 pm

Some Spelling Rules:

These are a few of the pairs that are often used wrongly.

Compliment or complement?
A compliment, or a complimentary remark, is something you pay someone when you want to be nice: “What a nice dress!” “That’s very clever”. “You played very well” etc. Sometimes complimentary means ‘free’: e.g. complimentary tickets.
A complement, or a complementary thing, is something that completes something: e.g. a ship’s complement is her crew; her assignment has a complementary guide to experimental techniques; yin is complementary to yang.

Principle or principal?
A principle is an underlying idea, or a moral belief, etc.
A principal is either a Head (e.g. a sort of Head-teacher); or an adjective describing the most important thing, “The principal point in this lecture is…”

Practice or practise?
A practice is a noun – something that you do, “there is a football practice tonight”; “I did 5 hours’ piano practice yesterday”; “my usual practice is to warm up for five minutes first”; “she is in General Practice”. (If you can say “a practice” in your sentence, then it is practice.)
To practise is a verb – to do something, e.g. “I practised my vocabulary last night”; “he practised his speech in front of a mirror.”

Affect or effect?
To affect is a verb – to do something, e.g. “she was affected deeply by the death of her husband”; “to raise taxes affects everyone”.
An effect is a noun – a thing, or result. Cause and effect are opposites. “The effects of the war were…”. Sometimes effects means possessions: “Carry your personal effects with you”.

Lie or lay – or laid?
To lie is an intransitive verb – i.e. it has no object. You lie down.
To lay is a transitive verb – i.e. it has an object. You lay something down.
Confusingly, the past tense of to lie is lay: “She lay down for a moment at three o’clock”. The past tense of to lay is laid: “They laid down their weapons”.
Back to top Go down
http://teacher-of-english.ch.ma

Some Spelling Rules:
Page 1 of 1